And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. ~ Kahlil Gibran



Wednesday, July 01, 2009

More Peas, Pwease!

We are picking snap peas out of the garden, and a few kohlrabi as well. Little Sprout is adorable about it. She loves fresh snap peas straight out of the garden, and so she runs across the yard yelling "Peas, Pwease!" at the top of her lungs. Of course I go pick her some (how could I say no?) and then we have the fight over whether or not she is going to be patient and wait for me to 'snap' the peas. Of course, it won't hurt her to eat the strings and little blossom ends that are still stuck on the peas....but it's the principle of the thing. You are supposed to snap the ends off and 'de-string' the peas before eating! Little Sprout just wants to pop them in her mouth.

Greedy little thing. :D

We have a few little green tomatoes here and there, and the broccoli plants all have little heads on them. The cabbage looks beautiful, and the beans are doing what beans do best....grow like gangbusters!

We stopped at the local nursery on Monday to fill in a few places where we had lost plants. Unfortunately, I just can't seem to grow any kind of melon. I bought some new to fill in where the original plants had died, and am hoping to keep these ones alive. We also had lost a couple of tomato plants and peppers to unknown causes (the neighbor's dog jumping in my garden beds is my bet) so those were replaced, as well.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Monday was a big day for the Barefoot Family. We were all going to go to a water park, but the chilly/rainy weather put a hold on that one. So instead, we went to a deer farm and let the Sprouts run around and feed the animals. It was really fun, since this year Little Sprout is old enough to understand what is going on. She got nipped a couple of times feeding the animals. She just couldn't figure out how to get the corn to stay on her palm with her hand flat. So her little fingers would end up in an animal's mouth.

Anyway, that is what I have been up to lately....I know it isn't much, and I hope to get back in the swing of things here soon....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awh, that sounds so cute of little sprout wanting the snap peas. I know you are enjoying those little ones because they grow up too fast.

My garden is just about fried from the heat,sun and no rain. I water but to no avail. This is our first garden in years so we are learning about the soil and where the best plact for the garden should be.

Glad your back to posting.

Happy Fourth of July,
Pam

I forgot my google account so I am posting as anoymous
Pam

Deb said...

Oh that is sweet! I planted my peas late, but they're growing like crazy and with this cool weather they just might produce. I know a couple of kids who might like them straight from the garden...

RuthieJ said...

What a fun story about Little Sprout. I have some peas ready to pick and I'll think of her as I'm picking them!

cheryl said...

I love reading your posts , glad you are feeling better !