And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. ~ Kahlil Gibran



Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Break Time

I did it again.

I got myself convinced that I live in HGTV world, where all home improvement projects are done in 50 minutes (tops), and end up perfectly. With that schedule, I should have been able to whip Barefoot Cottage into shape at least a week ago.

I forgot that on all those shows there is an entire crew working off camera, getting things done. I also forgot that those shows are shot over a much longer period of time, and we only get to see the exciting stuff. They don't show the sweating and the grunting and the boring fussy work.

Silly me.

Today was one of the days you come across during any project when everything seems to go wrong. The paint needed to dry longer than I wanted to wait. The battery for the drill was drained aaaalll the way to nothing. I realized I had missed areas that needed wood filler.... AFTER I had started painting. Sanding dust was everywhere, despite all the sweeping and wiping I had done. Never mind that I could have sanded better in the first place.

I could feel myself getting more and more stressed. I was tired, I was worried about getting everything done, I had that awful thought of work tonight, you need to rest bouncing around in the back of my head.

So I did what any sensible woman would do. I took a nap. Yes, you read that right. I took a nap. I needed it, and I couldn't really accomplish much going the way I was. All that was happening when I kept pushing was I was getting more upset and rushing more. Then more mistakes would happen because I was stressed and rushing.

No more.

I set my alarm, thinking that I would sleep just long enough for the drill battery to charge. Instead, I fell asleep and napped so well that I hit the snooze button several times. When I woke, my attitude had changed.

There is no rush. There is no expectation that things will be perfect. I'm going to enjoy working on the projects I have going. They are going to take as long as they take. I am not going to fuss over mistakes that are only going to be noticed by me.

I thought about just taking the rest of the day off, but I do have some things that must be done over the next 2 weeks. So I will probably be heading out again a little later to at least throw another coat of paint on things. The big change is in the attitude. I'm no longer rushing, I am trying to use my time wisely.

Un-huh.

~...And that's all I have to say about that...~

2 comments:

webb said...

What a smart Barefoot Girl you are. The paint needed some time to dry and not have you bothering it every 10 minutes for an update. Paint can be very difficult to work with if it gets its nose out of joint by being badgered.

Hope it comes together well in a couple of days, so that you will share a photo or two!

Rev. Peter Doodes said...

I work with some one who ricochets off the walls and for who life is one loooooong emergency. One day someone who could cope with it no longer grabbed her by the shoulder, looked he in the eyes and said

"IF IT'S NOT DONE NO ONE IS GOING TO DIE: OK!"

Good point, so what if it's not done?

Dust if you must.
But wouldn’t it be better,
To paint a picture, or write a letter,bake a cake, or plant a seed? Ponder the difference between want and need.

Dust if you must. But there is not much time with rivers to swim and mountains to climb!

Music to hear, and books to read,
Friends to cherish and life to lead.

Dust if you must.
But the world’s out there
With the sun in your eyes,
the wind in your hair,
A flutter of snow, a shower of rain. This day will not come round again.

Dust if you must.
But bear in mind,
Old age will come and it’s not kind.

And when you go, and go you must,
You, yourself, will make more dust.

Mrs. Rose Milligan