And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. ~ Kahlil Gibran



Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The Garden Is In!

Well, at least the one at the folks' place is. I am hoping to get to ours tomorrow morning. I just didn't have the juice after spending the hottest part of the day out in the veggie patch over at my folks' house.

We ended up running to the local garden center for replacement transplants. The seeds I started for tomatoes and peppers either didn't make it or were too little yet to go out in the garden. I did save them, though, and am debating whether or not I want to plant them here. I would hate to think of all that hard work going to waste, but I don't know if these little baby plants are going to be worth the space they will take up in the garden.

Surprisingly, I am not even that worried over the loss of many of my seedlings. It was my first year trying, and I am looking at it as a learning experience. Next year I will be more comfortable with the process, and I did have some success this year.

I have to get the hostas living in my dining room out into the yard tomorrow, too. They look so nice lined up on my bookshelves under the window, but I know it is just a matter of time before I start forgetting about them. I would hate to have such amazing success with them only to kill them over the summer.

It was kind of amazing today. I woke in a grumpy mood, the result of oversleeping and some pretty intensely distasteful dreams. I growled my way through the first bit of the morning, and finally headed out the door just before 10am. Once I got out in the garden, though, that cranky outlook just disappeared. I can't be angry when I have my hands in the dirt. Oh, I can get irritated at folks who interrupt me (Little Sprout, I am looking at you here) or frustrated with things that go wrong, but I can't be in a really bad mood.

Life is good in the garden. Everyone has their job. Worms munch their way through the soil, birds listen for (and eat) the worms. Plants focus completely on growing up to the sun, getting their flowers pollinated, and then casting out their seeds to the world. Things are simple. I like simple.

Yeah. I like simple.

2 comments:

Madcap said...

Huzzah for simple! I got some of my garden planted today too, and it's a great feeling. Now for the rain...

Lisa said...

Guess that's why we're friends, huh? 'Cuz I'm short-bus simple!