And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. ~ Kahlil Gibran



Sunday, May 16, 2010

Morning Sunlight

I am not, and never have been, a morning person. I guess it's a side-effect of having sleep listed at the top of your "favorite pastimes" list. I have been noticing, though, that I love sunlight in the morning.

Have you ever really looked at the light early in the morning?



It's really beautiful, the way the light shines through the leaves. They glow. I love the way the shadows dance on the leaves, and the way you can really notice all the different shades of green. Everything is so vibrant and alive in the early morning light. It brings to mind tales of enchanted forests and dancing fairies.... It is magic.



I wish I had more skill with a camera, so that I could accurately capture the texture and weight that this golden light seems to have. I watch at work while the light pours itself through the canopy and pools on the woodland floor, and I want to go out and somehow hold it in my hands. At that moment, it is so easy to believe that the light would be heavy and soft, like really good velvet. I really believe, in that quiet time when the sun is up and everyone else is asleep, that I could pour sunlight through my fingers.




The lilacs are at the peak of their bloom here in my little corner of the world. I think these are my favorite flowers of all time.



And look at these little guys that popped up, uninvited, in my garden beds. I don't have the heart to rip them out, though they are poorly placed and hanging over one of my young hostas. Their cheerful little faces make me smile. It always seems that they are just bubbling over with the joy of another beautiful day in this world.

2 comments:

webb said...

Being the morning person in our household lets me enjoy that light nearly every day! and it's part of why I love to have the porch and garden to myself early. Makes the rest of the day go betterR!

e4 said...

Photographers call it the "golden hour" - the first and last hours of daylight.

I actually got up early the other day just to take some good pictures of our house and our property for our new listing. The results were beyond my expectations. Maybe I'll post them, just for fun.

But yeah, that morning sunshine is great. I get to see it way more often than I'd like lately.

Great pics, by the way...