And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. ~ Kahlil Gibran



Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Why Bother?

As we all know, this Barefoot Gardener really goes all out when decorating for the holiday season.

Usually.

This year, I just can't seem to get excited about it. I would like to blame it on the argument that Mr. Barefoot and I had on Thanksgiving (the same one we have every year) over how to decorate and what belongs where, but....

The truth is that I just can't bring myself to care this year. Well, that isn't true either. The thing is, I am irritated by it this year. Maybe it's because my Barefoot wallet is suffering from malnutrition this year, maybe it's the annoying holiday commercials on the TV that started weeks ago. I dunno.

I put the decorations back in the garage today. Really. I put up one tree, some garland, set up a tree in the kitchen for the Sprouts to decorate, let Big Sprout deal with her tree, and still have Little Sprout's Ducky Tree sitting in the living room to be moved to her room...... that's it. Oh, and I set up the snow village. Well, part of it anyway.

I guess when I write it out like that, I did a lot. But compared to what I normally do, this is small potatoes.

I just want the season to be over, already.

I tried going into one of the local stores the other day, and there were so many people there! I hate that part of the season, even on my best years. Really, where are these folks the rest of the year, and why aren't they there now?! Why do they have to get into my space?

Ugh. I give up.

I am going to crawl into bed.... wake me the first week of January.....

6 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh, BG, I am having an out-of-money experience too, but that isn't all that is damping my holiday spirit! This school semester will never end (alright, in two weeks it will, but it will kill me first!), neither of my children can come home for any part of the season, and I just can't muster the enthusiasm for any of it.

I made cookies the other day, and sent most of them to the girls and my MIL. Good thing, too, since the doctor is making do a 3 hour glucose tolerance test tomorrow AM. I really hate those! I know this is one test I am going to fail. Been flirting with diabetes for 25 years. Afraid it got me this time. Sucky time to have to give up everything yummy!

Let's run away to Hawaii, pretend Christmas isn't happening, and lay in the warm sand for hours 9or until we burn!)

barefoot gardener said...

*snort* Oh, Lisa! How are we gonna get to Hawaii?! I don't know if I could swim that far, really, and that is the only way I could afford to get there. How 'bout we both head to Texas or Mexico or something.... we could still be warm and spend our time ignoring the season, but I can walk a lot farther than I can swim. ;)

barefoot gardener said...

Oh, and I forgot... good luck with your test tomorrow. Just get to like that Splenda stuff, and you will be fine. I think.

Lisa said...

Okay, so I didn't think through the how-we-get-to-Hawai thing! Maybe we could take a highway or something. That's what my kids always said.

Being as Hawaii is my home state, I must still campaign for it as the perfect escape. But you have to have money and we (that's you and me, babe) ain't got any!

I don't mind Splenda, but cheesecake just isn't the same without real sugar. Of course, I won't be able to have all the carbs anyway, so who cares!

cheryl said...

The older I get the less xmas means to me , enjoy your time with your children now BG cause before you know it they will be gone and you will be lucky if you see them at all at xmas . Sending good thoughts your way !

Rev. Peter Doodes said...

You sound utterly exhausted Barefoot.

Can't you just use the holiday period to recharge your batteries and relax with a glass of chilled wine and a slice of Cheesecake?