And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. ~ Kahlil Gibran



Monday, July 27, 2009

Facebook is Frightening

Yeah, so I am behind on the times. I don't MySpace, and until today I didn't Facebook either. I just never really wanted to get involved in that whole thing, thinking that I couldn't always keep up on my blog, so why get into one more thing that could be a potential addiction.

I finally caved, though, after yet another Facebook friend request came through on my email. I went in and set myself up, ok'd a couple of friend requests, and then - just for giggles - searched for folks from my High School.

Oh. My. Golly. The names and faces that jumped out at me! The memories (many of them that should have remained safely buried) that floated to the surface of my mind. To think that all these folks are out there, living their lives......it just seems wrong. Shouldn't the folks from your past just stay two dimensional characters that never move beyond that time in your life? It is so hard for me to think of the skinny-minnie cheerleader as that chubby soccer mom I see in the picture. Or the buff football star as that (obviously drunk) balding man.

And they have kids! And spouses! Yikes.

So now I wonder....do I really want to contact them and find out what their lives have become? Or would I rather just leave things as they are?

4 comments:

The Rambling Taoist said...

Don't know what to tell ya. I don't do MySpace nor FaceBook either.

Wendy said...

I opted out of the Facebook experience because I want my past to stay past. I don't need all of the baggage that might come with trying to reconnect with some of the people I knew in the past.

Being a member of Classmates.com several years ago and having some of my former classmates contact me helped me realize that I really don't like social networking sites like that ;).

Of course, some people swear by it. It's just not something I'm interested in.

Besides, I don't want any of my former classmates to see this former, skinny-minnie cheerleader in my now chubby, graying, soccer-Mom body :).

barefoot gardener said...

Oops. Sorry, Wendy. I like you just the way you are ;)

RuthieJ said...

I started with FB a few months ago. Most of my friends are bloggers, but I have a few classmates as "friends" plus my siblings & their kids are on there too. It's a fun way to stay caught up on what's going on in their lives--especially my California bro.