And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. ~ Kahlil Gibran



Saturday, August 23, 2008

I Kick Ass! And Other Things

Wendy says so! I am so dang proud!












So the deal is that I am supposed to name 5 kick-ass bloggers. Huh, how can that be hard? There are so many!







Here goes, though:







Lisa. Definitely. Have you seen the coolness in her etsy shop? If I weren't as poor as a church mouse, I would be after visiting her place. And her gardens are beeeeooooootiful since she has been half killing herself weeding and laying down mulch. Oh, and her spaghetti squash? To die for.

Then, of course, Kati. My beloved friend who makes me feel like I live in the balmy south (her being in Alaska and all) . Anyone who has the guts to try and garden with a growing season as short as hers has GOT to fit into the "kick ass" criteria. Not only that, but the girl is planning on homeschooling her 10 yr old DD this year. That is just insanely kick-ass, and way out of my league.

Then there is Deb, who is just now moving into her brand new home. You gotta take a look at her new place, it is FABULOUS. But what really makes her kick ass is the fact that she and her whole family managed to survive living in an itsy-bitsy cabin while the new place was being built. She also knows so much about birds and local wildlife...she gives me a bit of an inferiority complex, to tell you the truth.

Also, Gina just blows my mind with how kick ass she really is. She keeps telling me she isn't really, but look at her list of accomplishments there on her little homestead and it becomes clear that she really is selling herself short. The woman is TOTALLY kick ass.

Last, but definitely not least, we have the King of Doom Cake, commonly known as Thomas. Seriously, the guy is FUNNY. He reminds me so much of my Bro with his sense of humor. It's just a little scary that this twisted mind actually molds the youth of our nation. Just kidding. I really love his Notes to Self. I so often have the same kind of thoughts, but they are never quite as funny as his.

K, well that strained my brain plenty. Now I have to get on to the NEXT thing that Wendy asked me to do, which is to list 100 Things (flora and fauna) that can be found within walking distance of Barefoot Manor.

I am not entirely sure that I can come up with 100 Things without a few more weeks and some serious field guide time, but I will do the best I can.

Plant Life

Oak

Spruce

Fir

Pine

Maple

Birch

Elm

Service Berry

Hydrangea

Lilac

Daylily

Lily of the Valley

Bridal Veil

Moss

Daisy

Coneflower

Russian Sage

Impatiens

Petunia

Sedum

Hosta

Wild Grape

Ivy

Clematis

Pinks

Geraniums

Dahlias

Zinnias

Lily

Grass (who knows what kind)

Animal/Insect Life

Flies

At least 4 variety of spiders

Squirrels

Crud...that appears to be all I can think of right off hand. Unfortunately, the area I have moved to seems to be short on birds and butterflies, though I hope to change that with my future gardening efforts. I haven't noticed any deer issues so far, and I am close enough into town that I don't foresee having that be an issue. The yards around here are very beautiful and well tended, but all the gardens seem to use the same flowers. Sorry, but this is pretty much it.

So, that is that I guess.....More from Barefoot Manor at a later date, and that is a promise!



3 comments:

Lisa said...

Wow whee! This is the first time anyone's called me "kick asss!" Pain-in-the-ass... yeah, all the time, but never kick ass! Thank you!

I'm trying to do Wendy's 100 things too, but am not doing very well. I forgot, though, that I can include animals, so that opens up a whole new category for me to think about!!

Gina said...

I am so humbled! Thank you, BG, you're pretty kick ass yourself!

Deb said...

Thank you BG, and sorry for giving you an inferiority complex! :)