And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. ~ Kahlil Gibran



Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Be a Star

I read somewhere that we are all the stars in our own lives. At least in our minds. That we all think of ourselves as the lead in the play that is particular to our own lives.

I also keep thinking about how, when I was watching "Legends of the Fall" one time with the "directors comments" enabled (I am so addicted to that feature) and they mentioned how Aidan Quinn worked really well in his part of Alfred, the oldest brother, because he played it as if he didn't know that he wasn't the hero.

That is exactly what I am talking about. We all think we are Brad Pitt, but what if we are only Aidan Quinn? Not that Aidan isn't totally cool, but the story isn't about him. Here I am, going through life thinking of myself as the main character in some really interesting story. What if I am only some minor character in someone else's story? What if *gulp* I wouldn't even have any lines in their story, but just be window dressing in some pub scene? What if I am that guy who got beamed down to the alien planet along with Kirk, Spock, and Bones on the old Star Trek shows? I am sure he thought he was important, but all of us watching knew that he was gonna be the one to die when the aliens attacked. And none of us worried too much when he did.

Anyway, that has been the source of my insomnia just lately.....just thought I would share.....

2 comments:

e4 said...

The best thing about those old Star Trek's was that even if (especially if) there'd been a huge bloody massacre, they'd end the show with some lighthearted moment, including good-natured ribbing, whimsical music, and smirks all around.

Kati said...

*grin* Some deep thinking there, BG! I think the important thing to remember is that while we may be a very minor part in somebody else's life-movie, we must be a STRONG part in our life movie. It's up to US to make our own life-movie interesting. Easier said than done, unfortunately.