And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. ~ Kahlil Gibran



Monday, February 04, 2008

Oh, What a Night

Last night was very possibly the most stressful shift of my working career. In the top 5, at least.

I have a client with extreme OCD issues. Things have been really hard for him just lately, because one of the things that sets him off is snow. Ummm, yeah, we live in MN, so there is plenty of that to make him crazy right now. He wants it GONE. I guess it messes with his sense of what is right in the world.

Yesterday, he went to visit his family and celebrate his niece's and nephew's birthdays. When he arrived home at 10pm, he was hopped up on cake and ice cream and VERY unhappy to be home. He wanted to spend the night with the family.

So I spent the night trying to keep him from going outside in nothing but his boxers, unplugging the toilet (he flushes strange things down the toilet when he is upset), getting called all sorts of names, being pushed and yelled at, and generally taking all sorts of abuse.

Of course, with all this yelling and struggling and flushing going on, the other guys in the house were having a tough time sleeping. Naturally this made them cranky, which for one means that he will rip anything he can find and for the other it means that he will run around naked and pee on things.

Sounds fun, no?

Hopefully they will all be exhausted tonight and sleep quietly. Then I will have THREE WHOLE DAYS off of work, and I intend to sleep them away. I will probably be a little mad at myself if I do, but I think I have earned a little R&R, don't you?

2 comments:

Kati said...

OMG!!! It sounds like an absolutely horrid night!!!! I hope tonight goes MUCH better, and you certainly HAVE earned 3 straight days of sleep!!!! Don't feel guilty if you actually get them! You deserve it!

barefoot gardener said...

Hah! You have no idea. I love my job, but nights like last night I come so close to quitting. There is no way I get paid enough to put up with all that craziness! :)