And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. ~ Kahlil Gibran



Thursday, January 31, 2008

General Update

The last few days have been busy:

I realised my meds are working when I actually had to file my nails. They are usually bitten so short that it is ridiculous. Mr. Barefoot is happy, happy, happy that I finally look like a girl. I have stopped some other compulsive behaviors, as well. Things are looking up.

Little Sprout now has 4 (almost 5) teeth.

Mr. Barefoot brought home what is concievably the ugliest file cabinet in all creation, forcing me to move the computer cabinet (heavy, heavy) in order to make room for it. Gotta make a cover for that thing, cuz it is REALLY UGLY. Still, it has room for all our paper crap and more.

Big Sprout recieved an award for ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENT at school yesterday. Yup, I have a smart kid. Dad took the day off work and took us all out to the Chinese buffet to celebrate.

I rearranged Little Sprout's room, because she has been reaching out of her crib and breaking off the mini blinds on her window. Dangitall, now we have to pay to replace them. Still, between shuffling papers into the new file cabinet and rearranging her room I was able to move all her toys out of the living room and find homes for them all in her room.

This led to the discovery that, though her room was fascinating when we didn't want her in there, once the door was open and I actually encouraged her to play in her room she had no interest in the prospect.

I got rid of my beloved couch, due to the space issues involved with having a family of 4 (all of whom have space-hogging hobbies) living in an apartment that maxes out at around 1000 sq ft. This allowed me to take one of the chairs and the end table that were in Little Sprout's room and move them to the living room. Things are still cramped, but not as bad as they were.

I went to a shrink appt. Shrink Lady says my meds seem to be doing their job, so I don't have to come back for 3 WHOLE MONTHS! Anyone who has been on meds for depression can tell you that this is a milestone. It means that we may have reached the magic dose of the magic number of pills in the magic combination that will keep me "normal".

Even better than that was having Mr. Barefoot tell me that he can tell that my meds are working by the way I am around home.

It has been fracking COLD here in MN. Of course, when just about every other district in the state closed or delayed school, our wise superintendent decided not to. Not that Big Sprout minded. She won't admit it, but I think she really likes school.

With the thaw followed by incredible cold, our garage door froze shut. Dad and I spent 2 hours taking turns trying to open the dad-blasted thing before we could get rid of our couches (Mom and Dad had one to get rid of, too) at the Family Pathways Thrift Store.

When we arrived at the thrift store, I found out that it is better to have a wooden couch with fugly brown woven 70's cushion covers that are soooooo nasty than to have a fairly nice country style upholstered couch with a few minor stains. They took mine, they wouldn't take my folks'.

I found out how to add transmission fluid to my van (yes, I now drive a mini-van. but my wagon was falling apart and the van only cost us $500, so I can't complain too much.) AND I discovered that vehicles shift much better when they have tranny fluid.

I have discovered that hot water radiant heat does not fare well when the wind blows hard and cold. Despite taking the "Freeze Yer Buns" challenge, I have had the thermostat set at 90+ degrees, and the temp inside has been hovering at just below 60. Today is better, with the temp inside sitting at about 65 degrees, but I still haven't turned down the thermostat. Our building manager says everything is fine, it is just the wind.

I suppose that's about it for now....

2 comments:

Lisa said...

You're alive!!! I was beginning to think hat Mr Barefoot had packed you up with the Christmas decorations and stored you somewhere (without a computer!)

I can't tell you how happy I am the your meds are on target!! That is quite an accomplishment! Enjoy it!

barefoot gardener said...

*smiling*
Yeah, I am alive. I have just been a bit distracted just lately.

I, too, am glad that my meds are doing their job. It makes life so much easier!