And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. ~ Kahlil Gibran



Monday, June 11, 2007

cooked radishes and other oddities

Hello? All you millions of readers that I have amassed over the last year? Have any of you tried cooked radishes? Are they good? What do they taste like. Oh, don't bother answering....I will just cook my own.

I love to grow radishes. They are easy and fast, which soothes my need for instant gratification. The problem is, I don't really like to eat them all that much. They burn my tongue and then I get heartburn and what I call "dragon-burps". Is that too much information? Anyway, since I have been really thinking about how to accomplish my indoor garden this winter (and radishes would be perfect to grow inside in containers), I have been trying to figure out what I would do with what I am sure I can grow indoors. My sentences are getting "confusinger" and "confusinger". Are you still with me? Good. I have pretty much decided that lettuce is a no-brainer. Easy, tidy, tasty, perfect for and indoor winter garden. Then there is the bunching onion, or green onion....yeah, probably. I definitely want a few herbs, as most of the ones in my cupboard are so old there is no flavor left (well, is "dusty" a flavor?). I want to cook with less salt, and that means more spices. After all, I would probably die of shock if I tasted what my food actually is like! Back to the garden. I would love to do a cherry tomato or something like that, but I don't know if I want to worry about pollination issues. After all, a year ago I had no idea what a cutworm could do! I can't go too fast! I think peppers are out for the same reason, though sweet peppers are one of my favorite foods and they are so durned pricey in the middle of winter. I think a Chinese type cabbage might be okay, and maybe a few kohlrabi. It's a challenge for sure. I want fresh produce in the middle of winter, but I have some major space constraints (apartment living, remember?) and I have never been able to keep houseplants alive. Speaking of houseplants, maybe I will get an aloe vera plant, too. Hmmmmmm

It may seem strange to be making such a big deal out of this now, when I have just barely started my outside gardening for the year, but I have to do my seed purchases now. I have to plan, I have to execute. I WILL have my indoor garden this year!

Okay, enough nuttiness for now. But I will continue to ponder....

No comments: