And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. ~ Kahlil Gibran



Thursday, June 22, 2006

pigweed and grass and tomatoes, oh my!

Well, I went to the veggie patch today. Didn't get there 'till about 11:30 am due to a dr. apt. I was shocked at the weeds! Where did they come from? Okay, I do know technically where they came from, but they weren't there a few days ago!!! I worked at weeding for about 30 min before the sun drove me out of there. I like to go barefoot literally as well as figuratively and the sun had baked the dirt so badly that I burned my feet. Even Dad, who has been known to work in the yard till he passes out from heat, said it was too hot. I did find 2 more volunteer tomato plants, so we braved the heat long enough to get those moved out from under the path. I will be going over again this evening to finish with the weeding, hoping it will be a little cooler. I also need to do the flower beds, but they are in the shade. It is amazing what a difference that makes.

We have decided that the landscaping timbers I got for free (let's hear it for scavenging and repurposing) will go around the onions and then a strawberry patch rather than an herb garden. I think this will work better as I am not much of a user of herbs anyway. I am an onion and garlic girl all the way. I am excited to get the strawberry plants. We will be getting wild strawberries, as they grow wild at the back of the yard and get mowed every year. Easy enough to put them somewhere that they won't get mowed and then reap the benefits every year after. I suppose that is one of the great things about having so many birds around. They tend to "plant" some very handy things around the yard where you least expect them. Maybe if I ask really nicely they will drop some raspberry seeds in the yard, too.

No comments: