And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. ~ Kahlil Gibran



Thursday, July 22, 2010

Here Comes The Sun

Yesterday, the utilities company shut off our power for 4 hours. Not because I didn't pay the bill, or anything. Really. They said they had to "update the transformer" or some silly thing like that.

Today, a man from the utilities came knocking on my door. He wanted permission to cut down the trees on our East property line, as the trees are growing up through the power lines.

Of course I said it was okay. Those trees rob my veggie garden of much needed sunlight, and I have wanted them gone since shortly after moving in.

Now, with the trees gone, I am sad when I look out the back windows. I know it is silly. There is another line of trees behind where the removed trees were growing, so I still have the privacy I so crave. The extra sun on my veggie bed will be wonderful, and since Mr. Barefoot is giving me the last few feet of ground before the fence as extra gardening space I am excited that I will now be able to grow things that require a bit more sun.

There was one Elm that I especially loved. It always looked like it was just waiting for a bench to be placed under it, with some pretty impatiens around it for color.

In a few days or weeks I will be used to the new look. I will probably not even remember what those trees looked like. I will adjust to the new light in the yard, and garden accordingly.

But today I miss my trees....

2 comments:

webb said...

Trees, especially big trees, ARE special and it's good that you are sorry to see them go. We let a big oak die and die and die because we didn't want to have to cut it down. Now a lovely dogwood has taken up residence in its spot and the bed has blossomed (sorry, couldn't resist!) and it's become an even nicer part of the landscape. The same will happen with your expanded veggie garden. But, it's still nice to remember the former residents and how much they added to your shade.

Pool Installation Bryan said...

Thank you foor sharing