And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. ~ Kahlil Gibran



Friday, April 02, 2010

This Is The Week!

Today, on my way over to the folks' place for a venison lunch that couldn't be beat, I saw the first haze of green over some of the bushes and trees. That means that the next couple of weeks are going to be some of the most exciting of the year here in my little corner of MN.

This is the time when Spring creeps up on us, when we can sit on our decks one evening staring at bare branches and dead grass, and the next evening everything is green and alive.

It's magic. It's a treasure hunt. It's amazing.

Now starts the time of year when we drive or walk slowly through neighborhoods, searching yards for the first tulips and daffodils. When we start eagerly watching the lilacs as they leaf out and begin to get buds on them. It is the fun of watching perennials poke up from the ground ~ just barely showing in the morning, then over an inch above ground by dinner time.

This is when most of the yard chores get done. We are all so eager to be out in the sun again after long months of weak light and being forced indoors by the cold. We clean up our yards, and dream big dreams of projects that we would like to finish over the next few months. Summer's heat and humidity hasn't sapped our energy yet, and we feel ALIVE for the first time in months.

This year has been dry, allowing me to like spring a little better. MN springs are very muddy, usually, and without all the mud I am much more able to enjoy the changes coming over the landscape.

But the dryness is worrying, as well. My raised beds are already dusty-dry, and I wonder what they will be like throughout the year if we don't get more rain. Like every gardener out there, the weather never seems to cooperate with me exactly the way I want it to.

Today was too nice to worry about it too much, though. I am going to go to work, and enjoy my ride home in the morning. Tomorrow I will continue the treasure hunt of spring flowers and unfolding leaves, and do my best to enjoy each day as it comes.

And that's all I have to say about that....

No comments: