And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. ~ Kahlil Gibran



Thursday, March 25, 2010

Little Sprout in the Garden Center

I took Little Sprout seed shopping today. She was so excited it was almost painful to watch her bouncing in her car seat on the way there.

Upon arrival, Little Sprout let out one of those gasps of absolute joy and amazement. Her eyes grew to the size of dinner plates as she looked at all the flowers and garden "toys". She followed me like an angel over to the wall where the seed packets are, and started squealing like it was Christmas morning all over again.

"Look, Mommy! Cawwots! Punkins! What'r dese? And dese? And look at dose up dere, Mommy! I want some of dose ones, too!" Then she informed everyone in the store that we were going to grow "goodies in Mommies ground!"

Thank goodness I got there shortly after opening, and the only other folks in the store were employees. They kept asking if I needed any help, I think because it was so fun to laugh at Little Sprout's excitement. She would carry the seed packets, then drop a bunch and ask me to carry them for a while, then want them back "in my own hands".

Little Sprout picked out six kinds of pumpkin, 4 kinds of 'mater, 5 kinds of carrot, parsnips, radishes, mixed bell peppers, spinach, lettuce, 4 kinds of corn, and about nine 1/4 lb packages of pea seed.

Thankfully, I did some quick switching before we got to the checkout. We ended up with:

Early Girl Bush Tomatoes - a small but tasty favorite for fresh eating

Viva Italia Tomato - I normally do Roma, but this is in the same style, and I have heard good reviews

Early Prolific Straightneck Summer Squash

American Purple Top Rutabaga - one of my personal favorite veggies

Golden Scalloped Squash - yummy sliced and fried!

Waltham Butternut Squash - for Dad

Danvers Half Long Carrots - in hopes that I can get the seed to germinate for a change

Sugar Baby Watermelon - for Mr. Barefoot

Early White Vienna Kolrabi - another of my personal favorites

Goldrush yellow beans

Bush Blue Lake 274 Green beans - the standard for our family. We have never had trouble with these tasty treats

Zucchini Elite Hybrid - a mistake, I meant to get Straight Eight (what we normally get)

Table King Acorn Squash - Grandpa Barefoot's favorite

Harris Model Parsnip - a new adventure

California Wonder Peppers

Jack O' Lantern Pumpkins

Green Patty Pan Squash

Sugar Ann Snap Peas - the best for in-the-garden snacking!


When I add in the radish, lettuce, brussels sprouts, cabbage, and other goodies I already have in my seed stash, I have the makings of a pretty impressive garden!

Oh, what a good time we had!

5 comments:

Deb said...

That is so sweet! Little Sprout has her priorities right! Your seed list sounds impressive. I have a lot of seeds in my stash but have not bought any so far this year. That must change, as I need to grow romaine lettuce in quantity for Nibbles the guinea pig.

Finding Pam said...

I hope that Little Sprout has her own garden as well. I remember those days when my boys were little and they gardened. My oldest still does a garden with his wife and kids. Passing it on from generation to generation.

Anonymous said...

It is so cute that Little Sprout had so much fun! I am one of your new followers and I am having so much fun reading your blog. I have my own blog which I started not too long ago, so when you get a chance, head on there and take a peek. Keep up the great blogging! Maria

Lisa said...

What a wonderful way to spend the morning! I see the you have "infected" her too! Guess we will have to change her name to Barefoot Sprout.

barefoot gardener said...

Deb- I always seem to end up with more seeds than I am going to use! I am an impulse buyer when it comes to seeds....

Pam- I let Big Sprout have her own garden at this age, so I guess I will have to carve out some space for Little if she wants it... I am hoping that she will be okay with fiddling with mine for a while, though, as space is at a premium here at Barefoot Manor! ;)

jsimplylive- Nice to see a new "face"! I will definitely stop over as soon as I get a chance, and am glad that you are enjoying my little rambles here...

Lisa- I surely hope I have infected her! Big Sprout is going to be my hunting Sprout, and Little Sprout is going to be my gardening Sprout! I will be well taken care of in my old age... *giggle*