And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. ~ Kahlil Gibran



Wednesday, September 10, 2008

I've Got Birds!

Well, they aren't mine....exactly.

Remember how I had been complaining a bit about how I had not seen ANY birds in our yard since moving in? It really disturbed me. It just seemed so unnatural to have a yard with no birds. I had put out birdfeeders, and the squirrel family that lives in our pine trees took one out the very first day. The other they left alone, but day after day it just sat there looking forlorn with no little birdie friends to visit it.

Today, I happened to notice a flicker of movement outside the patio doors that lead from our kitchen out to the deck. I held my breath and crept closer, peering out of the window soooo carefully.

And I saw it. Then I saw THEM. A perfect pair of little black capped chickadees! I know, not exactly a rare or uncommon find here in MN. Still, they are my first bird neighbors and they are very welcome! I am hoping that as I fill in the yard with flowers and shrubs I will be able to add more birdie "furniture" and attract more feathered friends. I am planning on several types of feeders and at least a couple bird baths.....of course, I gotta figure out how to keep the "tree-rats" out of the bird seed.

Anyway, it's progress!

3 comments:

Deb said...

Your home has been officially blessed now. :)

Lisa said...

Where'd ya go??? Been busy, or did someone "give you the bird?" LOL

No offense, just checking in with you!

RuthieJ said...

Congratulations! I waited years for chickadees at my house. I believe they are #2 on the list of birds people want most at their house (#1 is cardinal)