And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. ~ Kahlil Gibran



Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Oh, My Sweet Sugar Ann

I harvested my first Sugar Ann snap peas today. Looking back to last year, they are just a little behind last year's harvest. But then, I didn't get things planted as early this year, either.

I also got my first kohlrabi of the season. It was a beautiful purple vienna type about 3 inches in diameter. I would have pics, but Little Sprout and I gorged ourselves on the veggies before I could get at my camera.

I have been woefully neglectful of my garden this year, but I am pleased to say that the square foot gardening that I have been doing is working wonderfully at keeping the weeds down. Dad and I worked for only a couple hours, and though there is still more weeding to be done, things are not nearly as bad as I thought they would be.

For the first year ever, my cauliflower is out-growing my broccoli. I can't believe it! I have always had trouble with cauliflower. I would plant maybe a dozen and get only one good head out of the whole thing. I almost didn't plant any this year. Now I am glad I did!

I also need to build another box to put on top of the box I filled with potatoes. I have run out of room to hill them, and those suckers are growing like mad! I hope the potatoes under the ground are doing as well as the plants above the ground. ;)

I am looking forward to the cabbage that is just now starting to head up. Nothing tastes better to me than fresh cabbage sauteed in a little butter and pepper. Mmmmm. I have also discovered that it stores just fine in the freezer for later adding into soups or making cabbage rolls out of. Yummy, yum, yum.

My peppers seem to be struggling. I think the cool, rainy weather we have had for so long is giving them some trouble. Hopefully now that I have weeded around them and the temps have warmed up they will start doing a bit better. I love me some fresh peppers! Oooh, and stuffed peppers? With venison burger instead of beef? Yum! Or pepper steak? Woo-hooo!

Gosh, I am getting hungry just thinking about it! Well, I am off to make plans for my garden AT MY OWN HOME!!!!!! I will have at least as much room as I do at the Folks' place, and am now thinking about how I want to set it up. I figure if I do all the work making the beds this year, maybe I can get started really early in the spring....Ah, daydreaming is my favorite hobby. :)

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh, baby, baby! Don't you just love fresh veggies? I am jealous of your cabbages and cauliflower. I can never get them to grow. In fact, I have a bunch of red cabbage plants looking all big and bad, and not a head in any of them. I guess it gets too hot too fast here.

My "stuffing" peppers are starting to ripen, but are the size of a peach pit. You think someone is telling me to diet?? I mean, what can you stuff in that?!?

However, the spaghetti squash is ripening fast and I have way too much. Send me you snail mail address to LisaAlso (at) aol (dot) com and I will send some to you! If you never had this, it's a treat! Cooks in the microwave and shreds into strands like spaghetti. Top with whatever you like... sauce, butter and garlic. Yum!

Lisa said...

And another thing! LOL

My sister sent me an article about a guy in California who builds raised beds out of straw bales, then layers hay, straw, bone meal, blood meal and compost to make his "soil.'

Let me know if you want more details for your new garden!