And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. ~ Kahlil Gibran



Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Why I Would Never Make It As A Pioneer Woman

Today I lost my vegetable peeler. It was truly tragic, because I was trying to be very good and have some carrot sticks instead of diving head-first into the box of croutons the way I wanted.

But I couldn't find the vegetable peeler. I looked on the counter, in all the drawers, in the dishwasher, everywhere. No peeler.

Finally, DH got sick of listen to me whine and cry in the kitchen (I actually did get a little teary), and came out to look. Surprise, surprise, he couldn't find it either.

So I had to ask him how to peel a carrot without a peeler.

I know that sounds dumb, but I have never done it before. I have peeled potatoes with a knife, but that is SO DIFFERENT. After all, we are talking about carrots, not potatoes.

We did eventually figure out how to scrape the peel off with a knife.

It is an ugly, messy process and the finished product is not pretty, either. I will be purchasing a new vegetable peeler right away in the morning, because there are some things I just won't compromise on. Evidently the appearance of my carrot sticks is one of those things...

5 comments:

Lisa said...

LOL! I would have taken it as a sign from the diet gods that I really should be eating the croutons!! But, I'm easy that way!

Mysti said...

Oh heavens.. I just had to laugh. That was great, and sorry for my giggle being at your expense.. but I remembered my Omi (grandmother) used to say veggie peelers were for people who don't belong in the kitchen. She's was an ol' southern bitch, so you understand. But I used to worry that she would think me a wussy in the kitchen so I vowed never to own one, and never have. Everything is peeled with a knife because she made sure to teach me. Oh, man.. grandma's can really cause mental problems in kids can't they?

Lisa - you cracked me up! I feel the same way. LOL

Kati said...

LOL I've got an old, cheap metal one that I just can't do without, but I DO know how to use a paring knife for the job, if needs be. I just don't like to. *wink* Invest in a cheapo plain metal peeler while you get the fancier plastic-handled kind for every day, then hide the cheapo-plastic under the silverware seperator for emergency use. *grin* That ensures that the kids will never lose it for ya, because they won't be bothering to look anyway. (Or, at least, that's what I'd do, considering my daughter's version of "looking for something" includes standing before an open drawer or door and blindly scanning the very front/top of the container (fridge, drawers, closets, counter-tops, you name it).

Hope your carrot sticks were filling! (Because Goddess knows they probably weren't satisfying!) *wink*

barefoot gardener said...

Lisa-

Oh, I wish!

Mysti-

I knew I would catch some crud for this one. I wish I had never learned to use a peeler, but they are so easy! At least I knew to go for the knife, and didn't take out the sandpaper! LOL

Kati-

That is a good idea! DH is convinced I threw it away by accident, but I say since he did dishes after the last time I used it HE lost it! *smile*

And you are very right. The carrots were filling, but I still wanted my croutons.

Burrus Boys said...

You crack me up. We misplaced the can opener the other day (found it in the dishwasher much later), and you would have thought the world was coming to an end. My DH and I found ourselves staring thoughtfully at a can of peas as it sat quietly on the counter -- as if by staring at it long enough, we'd have an AHA! moment and miraculously be able to get it open with out a can opener. Eventually, we just opted to have dinner without the vegetable that night. Also, pioneer women did not have Charmin toilet paper or Dove soap. Those are deal breakers right there! :)