And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. ~ Kahlil Gibran



Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Wow!

So I finally got around to checking out our local organic/locally grown food store. Yikes! I am in shock. Some of the items definitely looked do-able, the veggies and fruits in particular (perhaps because they are in season?), but for the most part everything in there was way out of my budget. I might have to do some checking into the local-ish farms and see what I can find there. I also want to get to the local farmer's market and check that out. Vegetarianism would cut a lot off our grocery bill, but DH is a confirmed carnivore. I would probably miss the occasional steak, too.

On the plus side, both my dad and bro are hunters. I have access to venison through them, which you KNOW has not been fed any hormones, antibiotics, or chemicals. Well, unless the deer was feeding in a non-organic corn field...but that is thinking too hard for me. I have been hoping to get DH to start hunting again (he hasn't been since he was a teen, I think). With his schedule, though, my hopes aren't very high. Maybe one of the Sprouts will become a mighty hunter and provide for me in my old age. I don't think it will be Big Sprout, though. She doesn't like the idea of killing anything. Little Sprout seems bloodthirsty enough at this point to keep the hope alive, though.

No comments: