And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. ~ Kahlil Gibran



Monday, August 20, 2007

"The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
but I have promises to keep,
and miles to go before I sleep,
and miles to go before I sleep."

Robert Frost



"Without enough sleep, we all become tall two-year-olds."

JoJo Jensen, Dirt Farmer Wisdom, 2002



What does that mean? That word that starts with s and ends in p?

I don't like to whine, mostly because I don't like to listen to other people whine, but I'm tired! I have had 1 hr of sleep in the last 32. The pattern of -work, take care of the kids, work, take care of the kids, work, take care of the kids, sleep- has begun again. I have begun to wonder how long my body can handle this level of sleep deprivation. So far I have gone 2 1/2 years like this, which encourages me that I could continue this way indefinitely. However, it has been getting harder and harder to manage the last couple of months. This leads me to think that perhaps I am nearing the end of my rope. DH and I were talking about what we would do if we won the lottery (always a depressing pastime), and though I didn't say it the first thing I thought to do was buy the most comfortable bed in the world and sleep until I couldn't sleep anymore.

Sad, isn't it.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

After days and weeks of praying for rain, we have gotten it in spades. The temps have been comfortably cool, and everything is thoroughly soaked. Like any true gardener, I am now wishing for a little sun. Gardeners as a group just can't be happy, can we? It's always too hot, too dry, too cool, too wet....something. I am still picking many tomatoes out of the garden. Big Sprout really enjoys having them ready at all times for her to munch on. I have frozen several quarts to use for salsa later this year. I also sent a large bag of tomatoes and peppers up to my honorary uncle. My onions were left out in the rain, so I must use them up soon, I don't think they will dry properly to store. That's okay, though, since we eat a lot of onions, and I don't see a problem with finishing these off before they go bad.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I have started Big Sprout on the Flylady system. They have an awesome Student Control Journal, and I am hoping that this will help her as much as it has helped me. Besides, I am really sick of riding her about cleaning her room, practicing piano, and doing homework. I am just too tired to keep after her all the time. Does that make me a bad mom?

No comments: