And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. ~ Kahlil Gibran



Thursday, August 09, 2007

So What Are YOU Worth?

Lately I have been a 'net junky. The combination of sleep deprivation and needing to watch Little Sprout constantly has left me with little energy to do anything but surf. During my rambles, I came across the Mom's Salary Wizard (they have one for dads, too). It was so interesting to see what I would be worth if I got paid for all I do. I am actually going to keep track of the actual hours I work at each task for the next few weeks and then print myself up my own paycheck. I showed DH, and he was very not impressed. Maybe he thought I was trying to make a point. I wasn't, really, other than to show him what an unbelievable salary I should be making.

I wish.

But I suppose that is just like wishing I could win the lottery.

* * * * * * * * * *

I worked in the garden today, weeding and removing the snap pea trellis. I now have blisters on my hands from the Claw and cuts on my fingers from stubborn weeds, but it is so worth it to look at a fairly tidy veggie patch. I am going out of town for the weekend, and the thought of coming home to a totally overgrown garden was a little more than I was willing to deal with. I also gave my brassicas a good dose of Bt. They have been getting munched a lot, and I don't like to share too much with the local wildlife. I harvested some fabulous looking onions (hopefully I will have pic's soon), and I picked a handful of tomatoes. They are so tiny, but Big Sprout doesn't seem to mind too much. I am not sure if the size is due to the heat and lack of water or to overcrowding. It's probably a combination of both. I will have to make sure that next year I don't make the same mistakes.

* * * * * * * * * *

I am trying to convince dad to get his yard certified as a Backyard Wildlife Habitat. He doesn't seem too keen on the idea. Really, I shouldn't push it, but I look at the shiny sign certified properties are allowed to post and I really want it. Besides, dad's property almost qualifies already, and the things we would need to do to qualify are things we are already planning to do.

We have long been supporters of the NWF. Both my brother and I had subscriptions to Ranger Rick, and Big Sprout had a subscription to Your Big Backyard up until last year when she "upgraded" to Ranger Rick. Even as an adult I enjoy reading these with Big Sprout. I guess I am lucky that SHE enjoys them. The magazines are educational, after all. Oh, the horror!

* * * * * * * * * *

We have been busy getting ready for the start of the school year. Big Sprout is going to a new school this year, and I think I am more nervous than she is. I know she will do fabulously, but I'm neurotic and must worry about everything.

It'll be fine....Right?

2 comments:

Wendy said...

I certified my yard. Deus Ex Machina asked, "What will that do if we want to sell?" I was thinking, "Who's planning to sell?" but let him know that it wasn't some legally binding contract between NWF and this piece of land. It doesn't go on our deed or anything :). Incidentally, we're Ranger Rick, Your Big Backyard AND Animal Babies subscribers ;).

barefoot gardener said...

So cool! I have been thinking about getting Animal Babies for Little Sprout....