And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. ~ Kahlil Gibran



Thursday, August 30, 2007

Slow time in the garden

Things are winding down in my garden, since I made the decision not to plant a fall crop. Except for some cabbages, kohlrabi, and tomatoes, I am just about done for the year. This depresses me a bit, since I really would like to put away some more food for winter, but if I want to set up next year's garden this fall I have to get cracking on that.

Dad and I have been discussing, and we have decided on 4x8 beds, rather than the longer ones I preferred. I was thinking more growing space, he is thinking ease of getting around them. He has a point, I have often been too lazy to walk all the way around my approximately 3x10 beds this year. I agree that a 4 foot wide bed is just a little too wide to jump over. Especially when it is full of crops. Can I call my veggies crops?

I am loving the cooler weather, and it is inspiring me to get out and do more things in the gardens. Unfortunately, I have been working a lot and have been just too tired to get out there. After this weekend, I have two weeks off, and I will hopefully have a little more time to work on things then. I don't think FIL will mind if I spend his entire time here out in my folks' yard covered in dirt and sweat, do you?

I have also been having the urge to craft like crazy. My Gnome Homes have become an obsession. I comb bookstores and the 'net looking for new ideas, and I am so looking forward to spending some time working on them. I figure if I could find just a couple of days with a baby-sitter, I could get a few of them done soon and see how the new products hold up to the weather before winter rolls around. I don't expect anything to survive a MN winter exposed to the elements. That is just a little much.

5 comments:

Kati said...

Ooooh, what do your gnome homes look like??? If you've got pics I'd love to see!

I think 4x8 veggie beds sound like a good size!

barefoot gardener said...

Kati-
I posted pics back on June 6, and here is the whatdoyacallit (url?) if you don't want to dig through the archives. http://barefootinthegarden.blogspot.com/2007/06/there-be-fairies-here.html

Unfortunately, the adhesive I used didn't stand up to the weather at all, and they have been slowly disintigrating. I think I have solved that problem, however, and plan to rebuild them (with some changes to make them "purty-er".

It would be so much easier if I could use nails or screws, but you know how fairies hate "cold iron"!

Deb said...

All my beds are 4 x 8, and that size seems to work well for me.

I like your new look!

Anonymous said...

You have an interesting blog. You listed Creative Writing as an interest. If you like to write short fiction, check out my sudden fiction blog, Raincoat Flashers, at http://raincoatflashers.blogspot.com.
Thanks,
Rion

barefoot gardener said...

Deb-

I am glad to hear that 4x8 is a good size. Thanks for commenting on the new look around here. I like to "redecorate", but wonder if I sometimes make it hard to read or something.