And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. ~ Kahlil Gibran



Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Fooey

All right. I know I was the one who was all gung-ho on Dick Raymond's book "The Joy of Gardening". I loved the concept of wide rows and the whole bit. The long and short of it is they don't work for me. I think the worst is the beans. Now beans are tricky critters to start with. They like to hide under leaves and along the plant stems. Then the plant stems have to be so durned fragile, so that you don't want to be too aggressive in bending them this way and that to find the elusive fruit (veg? fruit sounds so much better). Then, just as you are ready to call the job done, you find handfulls more hiding! Now imagine that you have hundreds of bean plants, unthinned, crawling all over each other. They help each other to hide the beans.

Next year, no wide rows. No way.

No comments: