And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. ~ Kahlil Gibran



Sunday, June 17, 2007

The First Snap Peas on Father's Day

Oh, joy! I wanted to take a picture and post it, but I have eaten over half of what I picked today already. I always plant Sugar Anne, because I have really good luck with them and they are soooo sweet. I think my snap peas are my favorite thing in the garden. You will probably hear me say that a lot this year about various veggies. After all, if I didn't like them I wouldn't plant them. I planted more cabbage and broccoli today, and did some weeding with my dad. Then later I went back in the evening and did more weeding. Unfortunately, I didn't do a very good job putting bug spray on my ankles and feet. I ended up coming home a half hour before full dark because I had so many mosquito bites I could hardly stand it. So I showered, doused my feet in rubbing alcohol, and spread Sting Stick all over my feet and ankles.

It isn't working.

Is it possible to go completely insane from an itch?

The weeds in my garden have put in a big push just lately, and I have many hours of weeding ahead of me. I will have to figure out some way to outsmart the mosquitoes. I have to admit that I am a total girl when it comes to bugs. I don't mind them as long as they don't get on me. Once I have a bug crawl on me I get the "creepy crawlies" for hours. Then I look like some kind of nut, slapping at imaginary bugs on me.

I have to say that weeding the onion patch is my very favorite part of weeding in the garden. Especially early in the morning or late in the evening when there is a cool breeze. The mild onion scent that floats up from the plants as you brush past them to get at the weeds is heavenly.

I have definitely decided that I want to do all raised beds next year. I have already noticed a big difference between regular and raised beds when I weed. Though my raised beds are only about 6" high, that makes a big difference with my back when I am digging around. I think soon (after I move downstairs) I will begin making the frames for the raised beds, and then as things peter out in the garden this fall I can remove them and get the beds in place and filled.

Big dreams, right?

Well, as I am hoping to be up at 4:30 to go do more weeding and it is 10pm now, I will say goodnight....

PS Love you dad, and Happy Father's Day!

No comments: