And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. ~ Kahlil Gibran



Monday, May 21, 2007

Gardeners Anonymous

So the weather here in MN has been goofy. I know, it's been goofy everywhere. I had planted some tomatoes a few days ago (or last week? I'm very tired, so a little confused) when it was very warm, but now the temp has dropped the last few days into the "frosty" region of the thermometer. So I went out and wrapped the tomato cages that surround my tomatoes with plastic to protect my little 'maters from the cold wind. Dad saw them today (right before I took them off) and wondered aloud what I thought I was doing. When I told him, he scratched his head and allowed as how that might be helpful, but HE never bothered with it before. My first reaction was that he has never had tomatoes planted before the middle of June before either. Then I got to thinking. I have always kind of laughed at gardeners who spent all their time babying their plants. My grandfather was like that: always in his garden, weeding and hoeing and just "playing". We all teased him that he spent more time with his cukes than with his family. Now here I am doing it. I don't even really like tomatoes! My need to weed is nearly a compulsion. I haunt the local nurseries. I am rarely without a gardening book or magazine in my hand. I even dream about gardens! I don't tell my DH how much time I spend digging in the dirt, cuz he'd think I was crazy. I am beginning to believe that gardening CAN become an addiction. Furthermore, I am beginning to believe I am addicted. FURTHER-furthermore, I don't think this is an addiction I want to give up. Ah, well. Everyone is entitled to one vice, aren't they?

No comments: