And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. ~ Kahlil Gibran



Tuesday, May 08, 2012

The Quick, Cheap Bathroom Redo

When we bought Barefoot Cottage (hehe, see how I snuck that re-naming in there?), the only shower was in the basement bathroom. I wish I had "before" pictures to show you. It was hideous. Luckily for me, the shower pan cracked, and the surround started peeling off the walls. While Mr. Barefoot and I were discussing replacements, I asked if it would be possible to put a tub/shower combo in instead of another tiny shower stall.

Answer? Absolutely. Of course, I may or may not have tipped things in my favor by complaining that it was just too hard to shave my legs in that cramped little space, and letting things.... ummm... grow. Mr. Barefoot does not find Sasquatch attractive. lol! 

Here I have some "in progress" pictures. Ignore the halo over the sink. My flash was reflecting of my shiny clean sink (or something), and I couldn't seem to get a picture without it. 



This is the view straight ahead from the doorway. The only thing we did in here was take out the shower and replace it with a tub. Well, and a coat of paint. We didn't replace the toilet, vanity or sink (though I did give the vanity a face lift with some Rust-o-leum Oil Rubbed Bronze spray paint and new pulls). I even kept our old shower curtain. Even with it being a low budget "simple" redo, we ran into plenty enough trouble. Old house, old pipes, enough said.

I don't know if I'm happy with the paint color. I wanted a real muted teal, Mr. Barefoot wanted a bright aqua. We split the difference (compromise at it's best), and I'm not sure I like it. I don't hate it enough to paint it again right now, though, so we're just going to live with it for a while.

The last thing we have to do is this:


Yes, that is the floor. Yes, the tile is nasty dirty. This is where the original wall for the shower stall was. We had to take it out and move the plumbing around to the side wall. This left a strange strip of missing tile (that I have hated since day one, anyway) and a hole in the floor. The hole is now patched, and we are just waiting for the concrete to cure before we replace the flooring. Oh, how I want new flooring! 

So far, I'm going to have to say that (even with the "finish date" that kept getting moved back) this makeover was a success. Even though we actually lost floor space when we added the tub, the room seems bigger. I love-love-love the vanity now, and showering in a full tub instead of a cramped shower stall is a dream. The space is lighter and brighter.

As soon as a little time has passed, and I forget what a mess construction in the home is, I will be almost ready for the next project! ;-D

~...And that's all I have to say about that...~

2 comments:

webb said...

So, try this next time. You go - by yourself - to the paint store. Get zillions of paint chips in colors you can live with and in a wide range. Then get him to choose among them. You may not end up with your favorite shade, but you may be happier with the result, and you may nudge him in your direction.

The bath looks nice, and new floor will make a world of difference!

barefoot gardener said...

LOL! I need to figure out something. We'll figure it out... eventually :D