And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. ~ Kahlil Gibran



Friday, May 04, 2012

Please Don't Be Broken, And A Story Of SPAM

I think my camera broke. Shoot. I have projects to share, things I want to show off, stories I want to tell....

But my camera won't work. Maybe it's time to just throw in the towel and get a new one, but I hate that idea. I've only had this camera for 6 yrs or so. *sigh* I suppose that does make it a dinosaur in the world of tech. I will keep fussing around with the camera I have, and hope that I can revive it.

Until then, would you like to hear the story of my Sprouts and their first SPAM? lol... I thought you did.




Now, you have to realize that I grew up with a father who believes that if you can't hack your protein off a recognizable carcass, you really aren't eating meat. I can't say that I disagree with him on that one. My mom had a can of ham in the back of the fridge for years. My brother and I looked at it as a bit of a science experiment, really. I remember digging to the very back of the fridge every couple of months, just to see if it was still there. One day, mom let us open it, just to see what canned meat looked like. 

We were not impressed. The slimy, gelatinous mess that slipped out of that can with a slurp and a splat was NOT what we had been raised to think of as meat. hehe. That was the last time I thought about canned meat for 20 years.


same photo credit as above



Fast forward to a few weeks ago, when I was talking to Mr. Barefoot about our food storage. I was mentioning that I was thinking about adding some SPAM to our cupboards, just in case we lose power again and aren't able to save our freezer full of meat. I wasn't really sold on the idea, but Mr. Barefoot was arguing strongly for the addition. Yeah, I married a SPAM-lover. Go figure.

Big Sprout looked confused, asking what SPAM was. I tried to explain, but it quickly became apparent that she just wasn't getting the concept. You have to admit that, to a child raised around hunting and butcher shops, the idea of chopped and pressed meat must seem really strange.

Being the odd mom I am, I immediately decided that it was my moral duty to officially  introduce my Sprouts to SPAM. After all, SPAM is a big part of American history, right?

On my next trip to the store, I made a point of picking up some SPAM, and I was completely shocked by all the varieties they have! Bacon SPAM, Jalapeno SPAM, SPAM with cheese, SPAM Lite... Whoda thunk, right? I picked up a couple cans and headed home, excited to see the Sprouts' reactions to the new food item.

After a quick consult with Mr. Barefoot, it was decided that we would fry the SPAM and add it to fried rice. Both the Sprouts love fried rice, and I thought it might make the SPAM  a bit more acceptable if it was served as part of something they are already used to eating.

Reviews were mixed. Little Sprout adored it, and immediately picked out all the bits of SPAM to eat first. She started begging for more before she had even finished what was on her plate! Big Sprout was not as enthusiastic. She ate it all (she always eats what is offered), but I think her nose got permanently wrinkled in the process. She told me she just kept repeating to herself that it was hot dogs to choke it down. I wish I would have gotten a picture of her face when I told her that there IS  such a thing as canned hot dogs.

Poor Big Sprout. I think I messed up her entire view on life. ;-D

So will SPAM and other canned meats become part of our diet? I guess the answer is maybe. Little Sprout and Mr. Barefoot are big fans, and Big Sprout and I can eat it if we have to. I will probably add a few cans of different meats to our pantry, but I'm more interested in learning to can my own meat.

~And that's all I have to say about that....~

No comments: