And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. ~ Kahlil Gibran



Saturday, June 11, 2011

Killer

It was the last day of school. Big Sprout came home, free for the summer, and ran to her room to pack. Yes, my friends, Big Sprout abandoned hearth and home the minute her academic responsibilities were over for the year. She took off with Uncle Wolfie for a weekend of "pest control". For 3 days, she woke before the sun in order to head out to the fields and kill prairie dogs under the hot South Dakota sun.

And she loved every minute of it.
She left the deer alone, though.
And had her first horse ride that didn't include $5 and an employee walking a calm little pony in circles.
It wasn't all roses and "red mist", though. They managed to get the truck stuck out in the field. I guess it took them hours to work it out.

I think this was the first time Big Sprout has come home from an activity and actually told stories about her adventures! She is usually quiet, saying she had a good time, or not so good time, and leaves it at that. For once she came home, sat down next to me, and gave me a play-by-play of her whole weekend! I think that was the best part of the whole trip.

~....and that's all I have to say about that....~

5 comments:

Gorges Smythe said...

I'm glad that she had a good trip and that you had a good reunion!

Jackie said...

I always love it when my kids come home full of excitement and play by plays when they have gone on trips. Glad you daughter had a great time.

Toriz said...

I'm glad she had a good trip, and that she was willing to open up and tell you about it! :)

P.S. I had the hubby help me with the word verification so I could post this, because I wanted to let you know that I don't plan on being one of those bloggers who disappears in to the land of Facebook never to be seen again. And also that I am still reading your blog, and the only reason you don't have a comment on every single one of your posts is because of the word verification thingy.

Lisa said...

Big Sprout is my kind of girl!! Go girl power!

Okay, I got that out of my system, but I gotta tell you that I think Big Sprout needs a new name. She looks fully sprouted, at least height-wise! She;s grown so much!

webb said...

Seems to me that actually speaking to [gasp!!] her mother is a sure sign of growing up. Of course, it will only last a couple of years and then she will be way too sophisticated to do it any more!

Enjoy this window of opportunity.