And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. ~ Kahlil Gibran



Tuesday, April 26, 2011

It's A Big Day At Barefoot Manor!


My lovely, wonderful parents get my Sprouts subscriptions to NWF's children's magazines every year. Big Sprout gets Ranger Rick (though I suppose she is really too old for it, now), and Little Sprout gets Your Big Backyard.

It's a big day when both magazines come at the same time. Both girls head off to separate corners with their mail and devour every picture and article. Little Sprout is fun, because she asks so many questions, and squeals in delight over every picture. She makes us read the little blurbs by each picture over and over, and loves to do the mazes and little picture puzzles.

Big Sprout is a bit more... restrained... in her enjoyment of her monthly mail. She is more likely to take her mag and hide in her room for a while, instead of jumping for joy and yelling. But I know she still loves them. While most girls her age are plastering their walls with pictures of the latest teen wonder, my Sprout is pinning up pictures of wolves, foxes, bears, etc. Between all the animal pics on her walls, and the furs that Uncle Wolfie has gifted her, Big Sprouts room sometimes looks like a circus menagerie!

I know part of my enjoyment is that I received these mags as gifts from my folks when I was a kid. My childhood was so different from theirs. I grew up in a house with no video games or computer, and we only had one TV! It's nice to have the Sprouts like something that is familiar to me, something that I have fond memories of, myself. Heck, I still like to read the mags when the kids are done with them!

~...and that's all I have to say about that....~

2 comments:

webb said...

One of the best gifts one can make to a child is the love of reading. Kudos to your parents for starting in such a great way!

Lisa said...

Heck! I still sneak a peek at the hidden picture page in Highlights magazine at the doctor's office! Shhhhhh... don't tell!