And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. ~ Kahlil Gibran



Friday, January 21, 2011

Bring On Spring

According to the calendar, the days are supposed to be getting longer. The Sun is supposed to show it’s face a little more every day, and Spring is supposed to be on it’s way.




The calendar obviously has never lived in Minnesota.



I fall into that trap every year. I get so excited on Winter Solstice, thinking that once the Darkest Day has passed that it will be a quick slide through the next few months into Spring.



And then January comes. And February follows. Then, when it seems things couldn’t possibly get worse, we have to live through March.



These are the times I dream of moving south. I think about all the places in this country where Spring comes early, and fall stays late. Places where Winter is a season, not a lifestyle.



Of course, once Summer rolls around I will be complaining about the heat and humidity, so we all know I just can’t be pleased.



You would think, me being a long-time gardener, that I would have learned patience by now. Nope. I am a product of my generation. I want what I want, and I want it NOW. You would think, with my love of all things organic, home grown, and homemade, that I would have learned an appreciation for imperfection. Nope. I want everything to be the way I want it, and I nothing less than that is acceptable.



Sigh



I keep reminding myself to breathe. Accept the moment for what it is. Go with the flow. Believe that everything will come in time.



It’s hard.

2 comments:

Roxie said...

I hear you...spring is still too far away. But I have finally learned to appreciate winter too. Time to relax, study, go deeper within, all that inner work and indoors work too!

webb said...

The word "winter" means something different in Virginia, than Minnesota- for sure! last year it was so bad here But is(relatively speaking) that I was seriously contemplating a move to South Carolina! really.

The problem is that we only get about one minute a day more sunshine and mostly it's in the early morning, so who can tell!

But it will eventually get here. Enjoy the fire.