And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. ~ Kahlil Gibran



Saturday, March 07, 2009

Turning Over A New Leaf: Day 1

I had great intentions. After my inspiration of last night, and blogging about it quickly before heading off to work (so that I would be sure to follow through), I thought about how wonderful it would be to come home in the morning and just take a few minutes to make a start on my new plan of "baby-steps towards decluttering".

Then I got to work, and the Big Boss Lady wanted to talk about a recent melodrama....for HOURS. By the time she was done, and went off to bed, it seemed all the life had been sucked right out of me.

Still, I thought that maybe I could recover by morning, and still have enough energy to accomplish a few simple things when I got home. I kept reminding myself that it was only a few minutes, and that I would feel so much better afterward.

Then I had to stop for bread on the way home. And I decided that I needed some fresh bagels and cream cheese. When I got home, of course, I needed to sample the bagels and cream cheese. And the Sprouts wanted some attention.

The final blow was when my backside hit the couch. All good intentions flew right out the window at that point. I was tired, and comfy, and even had a blanket to cuddle in. The Sprouts were being cute and sweet.

So I got nothing done today.

But I didn't feel sorry for myself once. That's progress, isn't it?

5 comments:

Deb said...

Well, sometimes the stars aren't all lined up. Change will happen when the time is right.

Lisa said...

Recognition of the problem is the first step to overcoming that problem! ;)

The Rambling Taoist said...

Yes, that IS progress. I agree with Deb & Lisa. You've identified the problem and you're committed to solving it, so now you need to have the confidence that it will happen in due time. Just remember that the world can't be changed in a day!

Chiot's Run said...

Maybe you need to set a goal of 15 minutes of decluttering daily. That's what I do. I do one drawer, or one shelf. That seems to keep me doing it much better than if I decided to do the whole house. I'm about 50% finished with the house then on to the basement and then ugh - out to the garage.

barefoot gardener said...

Deb-
I know Life tends to throw things in our way to see how commited we really are, but couldn't it have just given me one day?!

Lisa-
Like G.I. Joe used to say (or maybe still does): "Knowing Is Half The Battle!"

RT-
I keep telling myself that. Just breathe, and keep focused, and things will happen....but I am impatient, as always

CR-
Thanks for stopping by! The 15 minutes at a time approach has met with some success here at Barefoot Manor in the past. My problem is the consistency issue. I have to do 15 minutes EVERY DAY, or I fall hopelessly behind. I keep trying, though....