And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. ~ Kahlil Gibran



Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Well, It's Progress....

Today, for a variety of reasons, I decided to try to turn off the tv. I don't want Little Sprout to become the addict that Big Sprout and Daddy are. Besides, I had to take the little one with me to the cities to have our taxes done.

Things went well. We did the taxes thing, went out for lunch, and Little Sprout was sleeping soundly when we got home. I even managed to get her into the house without waking her and promptly jumped into bed for my own nap. Big Sprout got home from school at 3:45, and brought Pip with her. They sat on the floor and played with Little Sprout for almost an hour. No tv, and it is almost 4pm. Wow! I thought, this isn't going to be as hard as I thought.

Then, about 10 minutes ago, Little Sprout started screaming. I mean SCREAMING. I couldn't figure out her problem, since all the normal things (food, drink, dry butt) were all taken care of and she still wouldn't shut up. I finally got frustrated enough to actually ASK her what she wanted. You know what she did?

She walked over to the tv, put her hand on the screen, and let out the most piercing scream yet.

So I am now watching Sesame Street Silly Songs, and enjoying the quiet.

3 comments:

jenny said...

We had an unintentional no TV day the other day. Just kept busy busy busy and never thought to turn on the TV. Today on the other hand, was lots of dvd movies. Oldest knows how to use the dvd remote now and wields the power like a dictator!! I had to shoo them out to play in the lovely fluffy snow for an hour!

Wendy said...

TV is a big issue here. I've already cut the cable back to just the networks and PBS, and I'm thinking I'd like to get an antennae. I just hate the television. It's always on. Some days, I'll turn it off and turn on the radio and that works for a while. Some days, I just try to keep them busy doing other stuff. The kicker is that, like your Little Sprout, they'll go hours and hours and not miss it, and then all of a sudden, it's like, "Hey, where's the TV?" And on it goes.

Kati said...

Hey... Even cutting back that much is an improvement! I'm even willing to admit that I couldn't do without the tv, entirely. Though it's really annoying me how glued to the TV (American Idol in particular) DH and DD are lately.

Best of luck with the weaning of the sprouts!