And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. ~ Kahlil Gibran



Monday, November 05, 2007

Voluntary Simplicity Challenge

Last night, I again sat down to read a bit of "Voluntary Simplicity" by Duane Elgin. The section I am reading is detailing the art of living consciously, or voluntarily. It talks about being aware of all the things we normally do and the choices we make while on autopilot. While I was reading, my mind kept wandering (in the most irritating fashion) to a bumper sticker that is on my list of wants:

I realised that the book and the bumper sticker were both telling me the same thing. If you don't pay attention to the consequences of your actions, you wake up one day covered in sh*t with no one to blame but yourself.

Think about it. This works on a personal, regional, and global level. Profound, huh?

Anyway, here is where we get to the Challenge part. I am nowhere near as cool or completely organized as Crunchy, so don't expect too much from me. My challenge to myself, and to you, Dear Reader, is to practice becoming aware of ourselves as we go through our day. It is more difficult than it sounds, believe me. How often do you actually think about the process of getting dressed in the morning? I am betting you are thinking about what is on the agenda for your day or something else, aren't you. How often do you think about the mechanics of driving? You don't, it's all on auto pilot. Do you pay attention, and I mean full attention, to eating? Tasting each bite in all it's complexity, feeling the texture, savoring the aroma? I bet not often.

So that's it. That's the challenge. Notice all the things in your life. Notice all the things you think and feel. I will probably be posting about what I find as I follow this challenge for myself, and I think it would be fun to get some feedback from any of you that choose to follow along. Compare notes, so to speak. Good Luck!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Amen to that! It's a good book, it's it? I read it sometime ago. I don't know how well I will do with this challenge. At the moment, I am too much aware of my aching back and my garlicky breath from leftover pasta lunch. The breath I can do something about (like torture DH and the dogs) the back will have to cure itself.

Oh! I see from you next post that we are on the same pain, I mean page, with backs! Take it easy!

barefoot gardener said...

Oh, I wish I could take it easy! No way! With snowfall today, I gotta bust butt to get those beds finished. Then I will crawl into bed with a heating pad for about a week. *ruefull smile*
Ahh, the price we pay for our gardens...