And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. ~ Kahlil Gibran



Saturday, October 13, 2007

Voluntary Simplicity

I am reading Voluntary Simplicity: Toward a Way of Life That is Outwardly Simple, Inwardly Rich By Duane Elgin.

Yes, I know, most everybody in the world has read it already. They have picked it apart and discussed it to pieces.

However, this is my first time reading it. I think that is acceptable since I was only 3 years old when it was originally printed.

Unlike every other book I have read, I am taking this one v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y. I normally read very fast, and my retention and comprehension are pretty good, but I have already read the first section 4 times, and am still thinking about it.

I am not used to reading in such a way as to absorb what is written. I normally like very light stuff that I can fly through and just enjoy the ride. I want to try it differently this time.

So this is your "fair warning", dear reader. I will most likely be posting about this book frequently in the next few weeks, trying to wrap my poor overworked brain around what this book has to say and how I could apply it to my life. It will probably be a little boring, and will most likely become repititious. Just ride it out, I will be done soon.

3 comments:

Wendy said...

I haven't read this book, but I'm sure it would be one that I would also have to savor. I'm reading the Tightwad Gazette, and I'm continually struck by how "eco-friendly" her advice is. Her goal is to teach people to be more frugal, and of course, that includes a LOT of recycling and reusing items. And since she's being frugal, buying stuff at the Mall? That's a no-no for sure!

I'll have to see if I can find that book at my local used bookstore ;). Looking forward to reading your comments on it.

Kati said...

Sounds like a good book. I'm currently finishing _House Thinking_ and am going to read a YA (young adult) book for a review next, then on to _A Handmade Life_.

barefoot gardener said...

I love you guys! *wink*

Not only do you comment, but you give me ideas for books to read.

How could life get better....