And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. ~ Kahlil Gibran



Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Hot!!

Oof, I am hot. Went to the veggie patch this morning and got another bowlful of snap peas and I think 8 summer squash. I will begin freezing them today, if I can remember to get some freezer bags. I have gone to the store 2x in the last week and a half for the express purpose of getting freezer bags, and have forgotten both times. Also in the garden are lots and lots of green tomatoes, bell peppers growing quickly, broccoli and cauliflower "mini" heads, and a few cukes. I am sure there are more cukes, but I didn't have my gloves on and those prickles hurt! The beans are just bitsy baby strings with the blossom still attatched, but I have no doubt they will grow quickly. DD was so surprised to find out that the flowers turn into beans. I know it's a little more complicated than that, but she is 7, so the flowers turn into beans. I did some weeding in the onion bed, and it felt so good to be back in the garden. I overdid it a little, got dizzy and had to quit. But Ohh, it felt so nice to be out there again. Even the bugs didn't bother me. I welcomed every buzz and creepy crawly feeling of them on me because it meant I was back outside where I belong!

While I was there, my brother called and offered my dad some blueberry plants. He works for a landscaping company, and I guess on this job they are doing they are taking a whole bunch out. Little Bro said that he would take them if noone minded, and so they are his. How cool is that? Free blueberries! Okay, I have to admit that I am not a huge blueberry fan, but my dad is, and his property is where they will live. Poor mom will have to learn how to make blueberry jam, etc. So far she does apples, raspberries, blackberries, and plums. I don't know how she will feel about adding to her jam making season. Dad and I spent about an hour trying to figure out where the new plants would be happiest. I am so excited!

No comments: