And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. ~ Kahlil Gibran



Thursday, June 15, 2006

Reality Check

I woke up last night from a fitfull nap before work and realised that I haven't been acting very barefoot lately. I somehow managed to slip on the shoes of discontent, and boy do they pinch. That's what I get for not being vigilant. Have you ever noticed how it seems to take more commitment and energy to stay happy? Maybe it's just me, but I have noticed it with my peers as well. It is so easy to complain about what is not working and forget all about the wonderful things you have in life. I took those shoes off, and just in time. On my way to work last night I passed a stretch on the road totally covered in lightning bugs. As you looked out into the meadow, it looked like every stalk of grass had a green blinking star perched on top of it. I was nearly late for work, because I just had to take a moment and drink it all in. Then when I got to work, there was a lone lightning bug on the wall blinking for all it was worth. Poor little guy was looking for a girlfriend 2 miles south of the party where all the girls seemed to be. Maybe he wasn't into the party scene and wanted a date with the same values. Or is that overthinking the life of bugs just a little to much?

Speaking of bugs, the house I work at is out on a back road, about 3-4 miles outside of a small town. Swamps are all around, and a lake about 2 miles away. Beautiful, really. The bugs, however, are thicker than pea soup. Spiders especially. Normally I don't have a problem with spiders. Up here in north country we don't really have any poisonous ones, and they have a purpose in nature just like everything else. It is, however, creepy when you look at the patio door and it is covered top to bottom with daddy long leg spiders. Sometimes 2 deep. I don't know if this is a mating practice or if they just like the light, but it looks like a scene from a horror movie. I, in my infinite wisdom, closed the curtains and pretended they weren't there. Sometimes denial has its uses.

No comments: